Monday 6 July 2009

15

Take that, misfit fabrics!


I was determined this weekend to use up some of my misfit fabrics to try out a new design. It's less than a month now until our trip to the States and Maia needs some really roomy dresses to keep her cool.


This is the first one I made and it took me three hours or so from drafting to finishing. It's a size 3T/4T but it fits fine now and should fit for a long time!



There is a big box pleat at the bodice (my first pleat!) which gives it even more room for growth.


It has quite a long slash down the back and this one has one big button and loop closure.


I used my 'mod' fabric for the second one.


For this one, I used a contrasting spotty fabric for the box pleat, although it blends in enough with the other fabric that it's hard to tell.


I really like the clean look of the neckline.


Last week I was lucky enough to get a lend of Blottedcopybook's snap press and this is the first snap I attempted. So easy, I think I'm definitely going to buy one for myself.

This is the inside of the dress where you can see the facings. I just had to show them off because they're very pretty!

I just received some plain linen and cotton slub in the post today and I think I'm going to do some more tonight with plain colour bodies and patterned pleats. Good way to ration my treasured horded fabric!

15 comments:

  1. I love these dresses! The spotty box pleat is great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww lovely dresses and such a cutie model!

    ReplyDelete
  3. these are fab! you should make them in grown up sizes too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it and the box pleat......chop a bit off the bottom and it would look ace as a tunic as well ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. they look beautiful, especially the mod one.. I seem to have a real thing for black red and white.. its my inner gothlet I think. and I'm so jealous of your trip stateside..

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are supercute - well done! You certainly showed those misfit fabrics who's da boss :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The box pleat is fabulous, especially with the contrasting fabric. Will look amazing in plain fabric and funky contrast too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. adorable! beautiful new designs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the misfit fabric dresses but can't quite see why they are misfits?!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for all your kind words everyone! I think there's a lot I can do with this, quite excited!

    @Daisie: Haha, it's fabric I've had in my stash forever and not used! Posted about it last week: http://kitschycoo.blogspot.com/2009/07/land-of-misfit-fabric.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous as ever! The spotty pleat looks fab. Have emailed you re pattern testing success. Am feeling very pleased with myself!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Feedsack Fantasy7 July 2009 at 00:17

    Darling little creations. TTFN ~Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I do hope your going to be selling this pattern! It's so adorable and I love the contrasting box pleat.

    ReplyDelete